Friday, January 8, 2010

Happy New Year - Happy New Decade


If the first decade of the millinieum was significant for any special reason at all, it would have to be the fact that the United States elected it's first black president. Not really attempting to look at the mess that was left him from the prior administration, a mess people are expecting him to 'clean-up' expediently - going forward we can only look up to what promises to be an interesting future for this country and the entire world. I'm looking forward to Gay Marriage being legal in all fifty states. I'm looking forward to Universal Healthcare in this country. I'm looking forward to the end of the use of the term 'immigrant' to define people who come to this country for the very same reason everyone else came here (at least the ones who came willingly) and for them to be naturalized equitably like everyone else "afforded" citizenship. I'm looking forward to the decrease in gay/lesbian/bi/trans bashing and stricter sentences against the perpetrators. I'm looking forward to a decrease (and elimination) in crimes against children and stricter sentences against the perpetrators. I'm looking forward to a decrease in the number of people of color in prisons, a decrease in women in prisons and to answers why pregnant women are in even in the prison system in the first place. I'm looking forward to less criminal acts (and elimination) against women, children and those locked inside 'the other' category internationally. I'm looking forward (and elimination) to a decrease in crimes against animals and stricter penalties against those who abuse and kill them. I'm looking forward to a greener planet and a reduced carbon footprint for all. I'm looking forward to food and clean water for all. I know I'm looking forward to a lot. I know I'm optimistic. But we must aim high to accomplish most things in life. Imagine if Obama never uttered the words, "Yes WE can." The "we" is very essential here.
In my opinion, the next nine years should be kinda fly.

1 comment:

monet said...

LOVE IT!!!!
GREAT attitude to begin the year with!!!!!!!